Bienvenue Dans Mon Monde!

The impact we have on others starts with the impact we have on ourselves.

Friday, April 2, 2021

His Atonement Has Helped Me Through

 So, I've been trying to figure out what to write for the past week. It has truly been a crazy time as of late. On March 18th I received a call from my electrophysiologists office that the battery on my Sub-Q ICD was depleted to about 15%, and that I would need a procedure a week from that day. So, I ended up getting a Covid Test (which was negative), and last Thursday ( March 25th) I went in for a procedure to change the battery. This battery change would mean a surgery on my left side since they would have to grab the device and change out the battery. None of this was expected since I was supposed to have my battery last for seven years, but these kinds of things happen. 

Well, a few days before surgery I had a strong impression to contact a few people to let them know, and to ask for prayers. None of which I knew why I was having those impressions. As I was being prepped for surgery and familiar face came and said hello from my childhood. I knew she worked with the doctor that was doing the procedure and I was just so happy to see her prior, and I knew no matter what God would take care of me no matter how nervous I was. They then took me to the procedure room, and began to prep me. While being put under anesthesia I apparently asperated (which is a cough, but can bring up bile or substance from the stomach), and in an effort to not get any fluid in my lungs I was immediately intubated. The anesthesiologists and all of the doctors thought on their toes very quickly. They were able to get the procedure done, but I was not conscious for a bit of time. I woke up the tube in my throat and I was gagging and very very scared as I was strapped to the bed (which I'm sure they did cause you're first instinct is to rip that tube out). But I heard a voice that helped me slowly get through the tears. That voice was my wonderful husband, Jordan. Despite that I was gagging and couldn't talk he was there and holding my hand. Soon they were able to get me to calm down and had me give a slight cough and they were able to pull the tube out which is called being extubated. 

To me all of this is truly a miracle because they were telling Jordan I could be out anywhere from six hours to a few days. He was scared, but he never showed me that fear. Because of the aspiration I had to be watched overnight in the Cardiovascular ICU. They wanted to really make sure I had no fluid in my lungs. I was able to see the anesthesiologist and the Electrophysiologist that worked on me that day and they were both very relieved that I wasn't still intubated. But I was not under the care of cardiology (doctors I've seen loads of times), but keep in mind I am cared for at University of Utah health which is a teaching hospital so, at one point I had several residents in my room. For a second it felt like I was on Scrubs. However, I am so grateful for all that my doctors do for me, and that they can teach to help future doctors as well. 

While in the ICU I asked Jordan to give me a blessing because I REALLY wanted to go home the next day. In the blessing he gave to me I was informed that everything that happened made my Heavenly Father scared as well, but he wanted me to know that he was proud of the doctors and nurses and medical professionals that took care of me. I know that the atonement is not just for our sins. He did it for everything that we go through. I know because several times I've been through these medical hardships. It took 29 years to find a diagnosis, but these last 5 years since the diagnosis have saved my life time and time again. And I know that my Heavenly Father has a bigger plan for me. My work here is not done, and will not be done for awhile, and He is by my side every step of the way. I often call medical professionals angels, and I truly mean it. Their work isn't easy, but I know they have God on their side no matter their beliefs. I also know that prayers work miracles. They did for me, and will continue to for all that I know. I am still here because of my Savior and the fact that he suffered all of this for me so I don't have to feel this kind of pain alone. I'm grateful for that. I pray on this Good Friday, one week after getting out of the hospital, that you may all find peace and joy in all you do.

I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do. Gethsemane has brought me much peace over the last few years. 



No comments: