Bienvenue Dans Mon Monde!

The impact we have on others starts with the impact we have on ourselves.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What is the Priesthood?

First, I'd like to say that if you can't stomach my venting, and expressing my personal views on something I feel extremely deeply about DO NOT READ...

Now, as many know (because I never wish to hide it) I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I grew up in the church and was baptized when I was 8 years old. At 8 years of age I understood that I was taking on a covenant with my Father in Heaven that would impact the rest of my life. I prepared myself, and read my scriptures diligently. I wasn't a great reader at the time, but there were many scriptures, at that time, that began to impact my life. One of the first scriptures that really impacted who I am, and the one that I put on my baptism program is 3 Nephi 11: 38 "And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God." This scripture has helped me learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the covenants I am constantly making with my Father in Heaven.

When I turned 13 I made the decision to get my patriarchal blessing. A patriarchal blessing gives insight into our lives here on this earth and into eternity. It helps direct and guide us as long as we are true and faithful to our baptismal covenants. Most don't receive this blessing until they are between 14 & 15 years of age, but after hearing our Patriarch speak in stake conference I decided to inquire about getting mine. It is my direct revelation from my Father in Heaven to teach me what I am to do in my life.

At the age of about 23, after having graduated college, I decided it was time to see if I could go to the temple and receive my endowment. An endowment is a priesthood covenant made between you and God where you promise to both yourself and God that you will always obey Him and His way in both truth and light. Before going to the temple to do this I took a special class, and read scriptures diligently. I read about the restoration, and about the power of the covenants I was about to make. When I went to the temple I wasn't really surprised by anything, and was truly and deeply honored by the covenants I was making with My Father.

Now, many may wonder why I have just gone on and on about my experience on being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints... Well, if you have heard anything in the news about the church as of late then you have in a sense seen a bad light put upon the church. Such as, Women can't hold the priesthood. OR The LGBT community is not accepted in that religion. TO ALL OF THIS I SAY... POPPYCOCK! Many members of The LDS church are the most accepting and loving people I know. Yes, there are few that aren't, but you will find those in every religion. I have friends in the church that are "gay", but love their religion and honor their covenants. There is a blogger that is MORMON & GAY! So, I don't want to hear how that isn't possible... Cause it is... we love everyone.
However, that is not the point of this blog... the point is talk about the Priesthood. Yesterday I posted the following on Facebook:

"For the most part I've kept my mouth shut over this whole 'ordain women' thing, but I feel it is important for me to say this: in my mind if you are a member of any religion and you disobey the kind words of your leaders then you probably aren't really a part of that religion. I am LDS! I love every minute of it. I am a temple going and gospel worshiping young lady. I respect all religions and all views. But personally I have made covenants throughout my life that I intend to keep. I had a professor in college that taught me to embrace all truth. What this woman wanted I don't see as truth. I will always follow my Father in Heaven."

If you want to read the story of the woman who started the "ordain women" organization feel free to go here: Kelly on her excommunication
I personally, could only get through the first paragraph before I felt absolutely disgusting inside. When I say that I embrace all truth I really do mean ALL TRUTH! What this woman wanted wasn't truth... here is why: When I took out my covenants in the temple four years ago there was one thing I learned that I hold extremely sacred to me now, and that is that every covenant we make with God is indeed a PRIESTHOOD COVENANT!

So, what is the priesthood? Well, it is the power and authority of GOD on earth. Each office in the church is directed by the Priesthood. In my mind, the world would have nothing without the authority of God on this earth. Everything on this earth is designed by the LOVE of GOD. That means that the Priesthood authority is also the love of God to each of us. He has prepared a way for us to return to Him. The beauty is just that. Many of us don't understand this, but over the past few months I have found so much power in the truth of what I learned from the scriptures and from the temple. Each of us has the LOVE of God in us already. I personally believe that even bearing children takes part in the power of the priesthood. Motherhood is a divine calling straight from God, and links directly to men holding the priesthood.  Here is what the LDS church says on the Priesthood: What is The Priesthood?

I want it to be understood that I do not condemn this woman, and neither do any of her former leaders. In fact, after reading the letter they sent her (that she showed to the press) I saw love in each of those leaders. Love for her, but also pain. Pain that she so willingly would go against everything she knew to be true.

I have a friend that I've been talking to... He grew up LDS, but currently does not practice any specific religion. I respect this, and am glad that we both can teach each other the things we know. I've told him many times how much I love the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I love to be open and learn all that I can learn about that gospel. I love being LDS. I love going to the temple and learning deeply about every covenant I make there. Each time I go I try to learn something new, and I realize that the truth is that LOVE is in everything and everywhere. We as people forget that and begin to place fear in our own hearts, and we run away from the truths that are placed before us. Every missionary male or female has the power of the priesthood with them as they share the gospel. This is known as the Holy Ghost. No, women cannot perform ordinances such as, baptizing and confirming or giving blessings to others. BUT women are nurtures and loving... they can give the gift of love so freely if they just use that power.

I don't know what others will say about my views on women, and I understand that much of what I want to say I won't because I've made covenants with my Father in Heaven that I personally hold very sacred in my heart. Others, that have also made these covenants will understand. This is just how I personally feel. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.






No comments: