Bienvenue Dans Mon Monde!

The impact we have on others starts with the impact we have on ourselves.

Monday, August 27, 2012

As a Hurricane approaches..

To my friends all over the world... If you don't know tons about me and my past here is your chance to learn something new. I am from Denham Springs, Louisiana... I was born and raised there. When I turned 18 years old I went off to college in Rexburg, Idaho. The day I started my first semester of college a Hurricane headed towards my Louisiana Home! I was both extremely distracted and constantly on the internet trying to find out what was going on. I went to classes, but my mind was not on my classes it was on what would happen to the state I grew up with and had a love that could never die for... Soon, the levees fell and the water rose and my home town became a place of refuge for those that had been stuck in New Orleans and the surrounding areas. I did not fully understand the effect as to what was going on until I went home for Christmas and flew into the New Orleans International Airport. An airport that as a kid I remember being extremely packed, and now it seemed barren. As the plane began to make it's decent I could clearly see the damage that had been done. Blue Roofs (my first thought: how interesting, but then it hit me.....) They weren't roofs they were tarps. As my family took me around to see the damage I saw cargo carriers on opposite sides of the levee then they should have been. I saw numbers and big X's on houses... only to learn that had meant the house had been checked and the numbers were the dead bodies found. I was not just in shock I was horrified. Soon, we got to a spot that we couldn't keep going... My dad had been working in New Orleans at the time and knew exactly where we could and could not go. That night when we finally got home we ended up stopping at a Walgreen's for a few things.. I saw a National Geographic that I decided I would look at... the pictures inside have never left my thoughts. Coffins with dead bodies right next to fresh dead bodies.. I wanted to cry and couldn't. 
A few years later I read a book called Recovering Charles it is about a guy whose Father died in the aftermath of the Hurricane. Reading that book I could clearly see each and every image in my mind. I have a love for New Orleans that I cannot explain to an ordinary person. 
I remember I went to the aquarium and the zoo after the hurricane and neither was the same as it had been... I want to now say to all of my friends in Louisiana as a new Tropical Storm that is expected to become a Hurricane before making landfall approaches not only you, but the entire gulf coast... my prayers are with you! I will always have a love for all ya'll down there! May GOD Bless you and keep you safe FOREVER!

just remember one thing... we have the greatest football team ever! WHO DAT!!!!!

No comments: